As conversations about the coronavirus disease in 2019 become more rampant, children may start to worry about themselves, their friends, and their family getting ill. Parents, family members, and providers of Manassas childcare can play a huge role in helping children make better sense of what they hear from other adults and minimize their anxiety surrounding the topic.
Here are the general principles for talking to children about the COVID-19 published by the CDC.
- Remain calm and reassuring. Keep in mind that what you say and how you say it can affect your child’s reaction.
- Make yourself available to listen and to talk about the different questions your child has.
- Avoid using language that might blame others and lead to stigma. Viruses can affect anyone, regardless of their race or ethnicity.
- Pay attention to what your children hear and see on the television or online.
- Try to provide honest and accurate information as much as possible.
Being a Montessori preschool in Manassas, Virginia, we at Maple Lawn Montessori of Manassas understand the importance of providing the right information to encourage better understanding.
Jumpstart your child’s education by enrolling in our Montessori school in Manassas, today!